Pre-Start Health and Safety Review – The Necessary Steps To Bring Your Equipment Into Compliance
Equipment compliance should culminate in a Pre-Start Health and Safety Review that indicates, without any disclaimers that the equipment is compliant to current applicable safety standards. This represents technical due diligence that protects workers, management and the organizations itself. Easy to say, but how do we get there? What are the due diligence steps?
- When Purchasing New Equipment ensure that the OEM is contractually committed to supplying a compliant machine.
- Ensure that the OEM’s safety system designs are scrutinized by knowledgeable Professional that are working in your (not the OEMs) best business interests.
- Ensure the Professionals looking after your best interests are qualified and have the in-house expertise to not only find compliance issues but also design compliant and efficient safety solutions. Qualify that they have this expertise.
- Ensure that all safety system drawing are reviewed and approved and a positive PSR is delivered before issuing final payment for the equipment. This PSR must cover more than the minimum. It must include E-stops as well as mechanical Guarding solutions.
- Do not forget that ESA compliance is required and that Lock out Tag out and safety system training are required for compliance to the standard.
Qualification of your hired Safety Professionals is key. Ask if they have experience in Auditing, Designing and Building safety system solutions. Does their Liability Insurance cover safety system design drawings development? Ask for and check references.