Ensuring safety in your facility should be a top priority. Besides the well-being of your workers, safety is a good business move. Accidents can be costly and take away from your valuable production time. Machinery can have more than one safety issue, and a Pre-Start Health and Safety review can catch these issues before they cause problems.
Problems with Machine Guarding
One major mistake that facilities frequently make with machine guarding is that it is safe to use as soon as it arrives. Nevertheless, some modifications may be needed. Under the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act, all machines that need electrical safe guarding or electronic devices to signal a stop to the machine are required to have a Pre Start Health and Safety review prior to use. The following steps should be done:
- That machinery meets current and applicable standards ensuring the equipment is safe
- This means that the liability of the employer is transferred to the Engineer who carried out the Pre-start Health and Safety Review (PSR).
An industrial safety audit also offers the workers at the facility an opportunity to gain a better understanding of the equipment requirements. Workers can refuse to operate the machinery if the Pre-start Health and Safety Review (PSR) shows that the equipment is unsafe for use.
Other Common Issues
Machines can also have a handful of other issues as well. Some of the most common include:
- Mechanical: these include exposed moving parts, such as belts and chains. The machine must also be anchored to the ground or walls properly.
- Electrical: Common electrical problems involve exposed or overloaded circuits. An appropriate protection must also be provided to the power source, such as breakers.
- Maintenance: The machine must be properly maintained in compliance with the instructions of the manufacturer.
Contact a Trusted Source for Your Pre-Start up Safety Review
Machinery can have a number of safety issues going on at once. That is why it is essential for a thorough review to be carried out before the machine is used. The review will ensure that the machine is used as intended, keeping your facility and your employees safe. Please turn to SAFE Engineering Inc., for your industrial safety audit. We have years of experience, and we’re going to catch any issues before you start using your machine. Please Contact us today for more information.